Coney Island Dawg
I am so inspired by Coney Island. The freak show, the Friday night dance parties, the boardwalk of characters -- I go every summer just to bring out the kid in me. This hot dog recipe is my tribute and homage to Coney Island and its famous handheld meal, but with our vegan Yeah Dawg remix.
Our Coney Island Dawg is featured in the “Best Of” Issue of VegNews print magazine along with our recipes for the chili beef crumbles and sunflower seed cheese sauce that top it off.
For the Chili Beef Crumbles:
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons sunflower oil, divided
¼ medium white onion, chopped
½ clove garlic
1 ½ cups cooked lentils
1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste
For the Sunflower Seed Cheese Sauce:
1 ½ cups sunflower seeds
1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 table garlic powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
¾ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
For the Coney Island Dawg:
1 package Yeah Dawgs prepared according to package instructions (makes 4 dawgs)
4 hot dog buns
½ cup diced white onion
- For the Chili Beef Crumbles, in a skillet over medium-low heat, add walnuts. Toast for 3 minutes, stirring often, until walnust are browned, being careful not to burn. Set aside to cool.
- Raise heat to medium, and to the skillet add 1 tablespoon oil. Add onions and garlic, and saute until onions are translucent. Set aside to cool.
- To the bowl of a food processor, add toasted walnuts, onions and garlic, lentils and remaining oil. Pulse a few times to chop, being careful not to puree. Stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed. To a skillet over medium-high heat, transfer mixture and cook, breaking up chunks, for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For the Sunflower Seed Cheese Sauce, into a blender, add all ingredients. Blend on high until very smooth (texture should be thick and creamy). Transfer to a saucepan over low heat and stir frequently until warm. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- To assemble, add prepared Yeah Dawgs to bun. Top with cheese sauce, then beef crumbles, then diced onions. Serve immediately.